Preeclampsia is a serious disorder that occurs during pregnancy, typically after 20 weeks gestation and, in rare instances, up to six weeks into the postpartum period. The condition can endanger the lives of both mother and baby. It is rapidly progressive and characterized by high blood pressure and the presence of protein in the urine. Among the symptoms to watch for are swelling, sudden weight gain, headaches and changes in vision.
The cause of preeclampsia is still not fully understood, but here are some possible risks:
- Being a first-time mom
- Previous experience with gestational hypertension or preeclampsia
- Being younger than 20 years and older than age 40
- Obesity or having a BMI of 30 or greater
- Carrying multiple babies
- Sisters and mothers that had preeclampsia
- Having high blood pressure or kidney disease prior to pregnancy
A Security Blanket While Expecting
No, it’s not one of those blankets you have to drag everywhere like your little one might do. Instead, Future Moms (Anthem) and Healthy Pregnancies, Healthy Babies® (Cigna) were created as a resource for information and reassurance you might need while expecting your baby.
Through your participation in either program you can focus on your well-being, the health of your baby and earn a gift card to help with those new baby purchases. When you complete the program, you’ll be eligible to receive:
- A $500 gift card if you enroll by the end of your first trimester
- A $100 gift card if you enroll by the end of your second trimester
Each pregnancy is different, and brings its own set of questions or concerns. With registered nurse coaches and a 24/7 NurseLine, you’ll have access to qualified professionals who will listen to your inquiry and provide advice and guidance whether it’s your first bundle of joy or fourth. To access either program, call the toll-free number on your ID card.